Monday, March 7, 2011

Spring Break: Week 1

This is done for now. I am thinking about doing something in the upper portion of the top panel to break up the solid blue shape in some way. Maybe later...
These two collages were constructed the same way as the Caron Park stream. I made ink drawings directly on photographs of nebulae in outer space, chopped them up and reassembled them into a composition. I used one of these compositions to begin the last painting in this post.
This is an experiment. An old drawing from undergrad, chopped in half, shellac'd and painted on.
I visited Utrecht Art Store this weekend and spent a ridiculous amount of money on non-student grade paint.  I am curious what kind of difference it will make. I always tell my video students that it is impossible to make a delicious pizza with crappy ingredients and I suppose I should walk the walk if I am going to say such things. 


In my meeting with my mentor he suggested that I do a painting of the Caron Park collage which is based more literally on the color scheme of the collage itself (the ink washes, the naples yellow brushstrokes). The result is a comparatively less naturalistic color pallet and an increase in the level of abstraction.
This painting began as a somewhat literal interpretation of the color study below. I also based the composition loosely on one of the nebula collages. I don't know if it is finished. I don't know if it is interesting. It certainly is more "inventive" and less "illusionistic". I failed to keep my pallet neutral and I have no idea what it has become.

No comments:

Post a Comment