Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Painting


I printed two images of forest paintings that I made last summer, chopped them up and put them together, using oil pastel to synthesize and modify the composition. I decided to use the drawing as a starting point for the lower panel of a vertical diptych.


I extended the trees upward into the upper panel of the diptych and am interested in the possibility of diagramming some kind of abstract indication of cloud formations amidst the canopy of the trees. Since the trees are so tall, your experience of standing under them or near them is limiting. When you think about the upper portion of trees from the ground level below, the idea of the canopy offers mystery and wonder. I like this disconnect between the forest that you are able to experience and the part of the forest that is imagined. I have been thinking about something Laurel said: "sometimes the “story” reveals itself to you AFTER it is painted".

No comments:

Post a Comment