I drew directly onto black and white photos taken at the creek and the little waterfall in Caron Park in Rice County, MN. I used ink and paint to eliminate certain details and accentuate other things. I have been reading about Chinese landscape painting because and am especially interested in how these painters deliberately avoid perspective. The paintings do not represent one viewpoint but a series of observations from many viewpoints. Chinese landscape painter Guo Xi explains that this allows one to "view the part from the angle of totality". As the viewers' eyes wander through the picture, it recalls the experience of wandering through the actual landscape. I collaged the ink studies together to fit a desired format, cutting out areas and reassembling stream and waterfall elements like a Chinese landscape on a hanging scroll. Below is the very beginning of a painting on two vertically oriented "almost squares" based upon the the drawings/collage above. A good project for this weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment